Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cirque "Mulan"

When someone asks you if you want to see a circus show in Paris for 10 euro, you say yes; it doesn't matter if you have no idea what the thing is about, where it is, etc. It's10 euro. It's a show. It's in Paris. It's me getting off my butt on Sunday and doing something cultural.

Me, Stella and a few other girls bought tickets to Les Etoiles du Cirque de Pekin. I was told it was a show about Mulan (my favorite Disney movie of all time) so of course I was more than excited. I didn't stop to think how France would interpret Mulan, or if it would expel the same Disney magic that enthralls every one who sees it (aka me, who just watched it last month. By myself). 

The show started at 3 pm and lasted about 2 hours. It was in the 12th arrondissement by a lovely park, and despite the blistering wind, hangover and grumbling stomach, I was ready to be captivated by my favorite childhood film. Our seats weren't too bad for 10 euro, and it felt nice to be in a circus environment with hyper children running around and popcorn tumbling in large glass containers. It reminded me of my Cirque de Soleil outings with my parents and how everything appeared so large, ethereal and illuminated. Of course I had to buy popcorn (the thing was the size of my hand  and sweet instead of salty, but still worth it).

The show was like a muted down version of Cirque de Soleil, with a host of impressive acrobatics, stunts and costumes. Though the story resembled nothing of the Disney Mulan movie, or anything of Mulan, the spectacular performances help me get over it. 

One of the most peculiar, yet fascinating acts featured a group of women lying on their backs and spinning gourds, chairs, and drums on their feet in rapid motion. They would then toss these objects to each other (by their feet) without missing a beat, or a spin. It was probably the most random skill I have ever seen, but also one of the coolest. I debated going home and trying it, but as I live in a rented apartment with rented furniture, I thought otherwise. 

All of the performers came from China and were incredibly lithe and talented. It was a small-scale show compared to those in the US and I have learned that the French cheer in a much more refined fashion than my fellow countrymen across the pond. It was definitely an interesting circus experience and comparison, not to mention the entire thing was in french. 

For 10 euro my normal, lazy Sunday became quite cultural and unique; though I found myself missing the large stage presence of American shows. But again, 10 euro, you can't complain. I'll even let the whole lack of Mulan storyline thing go. 

Photos:
Ponies saying "hey" as we walked up to the tent



 View from our seats
 amazing rope stunt


 Women balancing on men while balancing spinning ceramic flowers. No big deal. 
 Chinese dragon

 Women doing handstands on a chair tower
 human tower

No comments:

Post a Comment