Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mexican: take two

Candelaria:
la taqueria, 3rd arrdt.

Ecstatic about the news that Chipotle was making its debut in Paris the 16th of January, I had mexican on the brain all week. We planned to go to Chipotle for dinner. I was thinking burrito, chicken, guac, salsa, beans, mouth watering goodness. However, when someone actually looked up Chipotle and saw that it wasn't going to be open for another 1-2 months, we were at a loss of what to do. We started planning a making our own Mexican night, but then a friend suggested Candelaria and (as a fellow Californian) vouched for its authenticity and flavor.

I was the first one to arrive and had to walk by it a few times to make sure I was at the right location. The place was the size of a large closet. It had one table and 7 stools around a counter. The kitchen was behind it and two Hispanic people were bustling making tortillas and serving guac. You have got to be kidding, I thought to myself. We were a party of five, we would practically overflow the small space.

I walked in and grabbed a bar stool and waited. After a few minutes I noticed strangers walking in, waving, and then going through a tiny, unassuming door that looked like it led to a broom closet or bathroom. I asked if there was another room, they said yes. I decided to check it out and found myself in a dark, warm and bustling bar. I was duly impressed by its chicness, nonchalance, and amazing looking cocktails. Sadly there was no room for us, and they only served appetizers, so I headed back to the "main" area. My friends finally filed in and we were lucky to snag five bar stools.

I had been observing the "chef" and marveled at how delicately he prepared each dish. Though everything looked tiny (appetizer portion), each dish was a declared masterpiece.

We ordered and split three dishes of guac and chips. The guac was the best I've had here so far, though it was missing some salt and spice (like everything in Paris). I was slightly obsessed with the chips and asked for seconds. It was obvious they were homemade (like everything there) and I could not get enough.

I ordered a quesadilla and chicken tostada. Voila:

I so wish I could have photographed every one's dishes, but I only had my cellphone and everyone had plunged in before I could even ready my blackberry camera. 

Stella's food was ok. She got tacos carnita's and declared that for whatever reason, Parisians deem a taco acceptable with just the meat and some parsley (it should be cilantro) and nothing elese.

My quesadilla was amazing (filled with mushrooms and something else I could not distinguish). I could have eaten five. The tostada was also good, but lacked salt and a kick of something. 

However, it was very cool to watch this young man throw avocados into a plastic bowl and whip up guac; throw some homemade tortillas on his tiny stove and create gorgeous tostadas and queso frescos; and smell everything. 

Not to mention the margaritas looked phenomenal. I paid 10 euro and was pretty pleased. The reviews were mixed from my group, but I think it is the best Mexican food I have found here and the delicacy of every creation made me feel as if I was eating Mexican art, as well as some delicious beans and cheese. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so afraid to leave CA again because NYC has very limited amount of Mexican food, and I will not settle for Chipotle. But I swear to god that Mexican is the only food I want to eat and it is so so hard to find. Imma make you some guac and quesadillas as soon as you get back. Promise.

    But yay for venturing to try some local Mexican! A good margarita and homemade chips are better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete