Monday, January 9, 2012

La galette des Rois (King's Cake)

MMMmmmm


Today was my first time tasting a galette des Rois. As my favorite sushi restaurant at home says: it was Raku (heaven in mouth). 


La galette des Rois is a thin, flaky, buttery cake that reminded me of brioche. It's actually more like a puff pastry pie and is served warm accompanied with jams, creams, fruits or chocolate. A traditional galette contains only puff pastry, sugar, butter, egg, almonds, and a little rum or cognac. 


A little prize (une fève ) is hidden in the cake and the person who finds it takes on the role of the "king" and wears the obligatory crown. The galette is eaten on lÉpiphanie, the twelfth day after Christmas (Jan 6th), and traditionally celebrates the Mesiah's incarnation and the visitation of the Magi to baby Jesus. Me being the good half-Jew that I am, did not know about the meaning of this holiday until today. January 9th. Eloise and the boys had saved half of the galette for me, since they could not find the fève and wanted to finish the search when I arrived. 


Though the cake was amazing on its own, me being me, want to try it with chocolate. Luckily these galettes are not solely eaten on the 6th of January and are available during the holiday season (which still seems to be going on in Paris). Perhaps I will pick one up tomorrow if they are not all sold out and split it with Ari. I am sure she would not mind helping me eat the whole thing. With chocolate and jam. 
La galette des Rois




Alexis and Eloise found la fève  in Alexis' piece (it was a little wagon) 
 Alexis is now the King and coronated Eloise the queen, and me the Princess. Hector was appointed nothing. 
 Alexis making a scary face
 Alexis very excited about finding la fève 
 The last slice of la galette des Rois

No comments:

Post a Comment